We burden mom-and-pop landlords with all kinds of expectations and baggage that we don’t impose on more corporate types. That’s partly because they are, well, moms and pops, with all the psychodrama that those words imply, and partly because they are such a prominent feature of the rental picture here. A 2003 study old, but still the most recent solid data available found that 75 percent of landlords in the city owned fewer than 10 units; 42 percent lived in a building that they rented out. They were also much more likely to manage their own rental properties than landlords nationwide, increasing the potential for friction with their tenants, and they held on to those buildings longer—three decades was not unusual. An estimated 80 percent of rent-controlled properties in San Francisco are mom-and-pop owned.
What We’ve Posted Lately
- Exclusively Marketed By and Sold By 243 Romain Street: Refreshed for Today by Kevin Ho and Jonathan McNarry, Vanguard Properties July 21, 2017
- Steady and Increasing: Homes Sales Data from the First Part of 2017 is In July 18, 2017
- NYTimes: The Cost of a Hot Economy in California: A Severe Housing Crisis July 18, 2017
The Best & Most Accurate Property Search
- San Francisco’s most and least expensive homes this week July 21, 2017This time it pays to go low in Potrero Hill Friday is time for the High & the Low, a Curbed column chronicling the most and least expensive homes sold in San Francisco in the last seven days. Here’s this week’s pageant of extremes. Back in May the brick-clad Georgian masterpiece at 2502 Jackson, circa […]
- Lake Tahoe home seeks a whopping $75 million July 21, 2017Comes with 13 fireplaces, 8 bedroom, 2 glass funiculars, and 1 gargantuan asking price Way over in Lake Tahoe, a new construction, christened Crystal Pointe, nestled above the titular lake, is on the market. And it’s asking a crisp $75 million. What does such a price afford one these days? A lot. In addition to […]
What’s Popular On the Site
Copyright Kevin K. Ho + Jonathan McNarry, 2017
To that extent possible, the information here is copyright protected. But other information such as links, articles and the like are only reproduced here for market education purposes. Remember to research all matters discussed here to your own satisfaction.